With our aging population, about 10% of American adults wear dentures. Although I am a proponent of Dental Implants for their tooth replacement superiority, I am not resistant to creating dentures or partials for people who prefer them.
Some people are accepting of the feel and function of dentures. More commonly, however, patients come to us seeking an alternative. For some, we are able to create dentures that give a more secure fit with a natural appearance. Yet, far more people are weary of the frustrations that are typical with wearing dentures and desire the stability of Dental Implants or an implant-secured denture.
Common complaints of new patients who are denture wearers include:
• My dentures are uncomfortable.
• It took a long time to get used to something foreign in my mouth.
• I had to relearn saying certain words and to chew differently.
• I don’t feel they look natural.
• My denture causes me to have bad breath.
• My dentures have embarrassed me by slipping.
• I have a fear my dentures will shoot out when I sneeze in public.
• I feel I look older now that I wear dentures.
• I have sore gums a lot.
• I’ve had to give up many things I loved to eat.
• I can’t taste as well now.
• Denture creams melt when I drink hot coffee and ruins the taste.
• Adhesives help some but are expensive.
• I laugh less with friends to avoid embarassment.
• I turn down invitations when there is a meal involved.
Yet, even with these issues, we have patients who request dentures. For them, we create a high-quality, secure fit that restores a natural look. For some, we can place several Dental Implants to which their new denture attaches. This enables them to remove their denture for cleaning and sleeping.
Regardless of the tooth replacement option you select, our goal is to provide you with the highest quality and best function possible. Today’s dentistry offers many choices and I invite you to discuss these with me personally. Call toll free 1-866-9-Smiles and ask for a Free Consultation. During this time, I’ll go over options best for your situation and answer your questions in a relaxed, comfortable setting.